Bacviz Kecskemet (Hungary)
Service solution to reduce energy consumption and the electricity bill in a pumping station
| ||15% energy savings, ROI in less than 3 years
I. CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT / PROJECT CONTEXT
- Bacviz is the operation company in charge of providing drinking water to the town and region of Kecskemet. It represents a population of 120 000 inhabitants.
Customer objective and constraints:
- In Hungary the electrical utility providing electrical energy to the water operation company has a price policy based on a fixed subscription. When the water utility has peak demands over the subscription value some penalties are applied. The water utility wants to avoid this cost.
- More generally a clear understanding of the consumption of the different process steps is required to optimise the process. On average electricity bill accounts for up to 30% of operation cost for a water utility.
II. SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Implementation methodology (main phases):1. Meeting with operators to understand the key step of the process: deep underground pumping, sand filters, chlorination.
2. Instrumentation of the customer's electrical network with measurement devices connected to a web server.
3. Analysis of the data collected by the Schneider Electric services team.
4. Creation of an official report on a regular basis and presentation of the conclusions to the operation company staff.
Solution overview (services, products, systems, architectures...):
|1. Revamping of Low Voltage switchgear
2. Compact NS Micrologic electronic trip units
3. Powerlogic meters and control
4. Modbus/Ethernet communication units
5. Ethernet server information collection
6. Information analysis
How did we estimate the energy savings (methodology, tools, ...)
- Energy savings were directly obtained by the reduction of the contract from a 600kW base to a 400kW base (winter subscription)
III. RESULTS / ACHIEVEMENT
- The customer has a lower contract with the water utility.
- He is able to manage the process to avoid peak demand: no filter backwashing during deep water pumping for instance.
- Balancing of the pumps to limit ageing.
- Pulsed air compressor optimisation.
Customer testimonies (Verbatim):
- Plant operation manager: "After 6 months of operation and the two first monitoring reports we have optimised the energy cost. We wish to extend the complete supervision of our electrical equipment on 2 pumping stations at Kecskemet."
Schneider Electric differentiating values VS competitors:
- Local service team collaboration with a local panel builder.
- Full solution proposed by the same team including electrical equipment revamping, Ethernet TCP/IP transmission of data via a safe router, interpretation of data by experts, quarterly reports for recommendations.