Grasse "Les Roumiguières" (France)
Integrated control solution for a Wastewater treatment plant with innovative process
| ||15% design productivity
Cost effective and size optimised solution 30% saved on wiring costs
I. CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT / PROJECT CONTEXT
- The town of Grasse has entrusted to Degrémont the construction of a wastewater treatment facility (capacity of 25 000 Equivalent Inhabitants), using a new ultra-filtration membrane technology, called Ultrabox®.
- This very compact technology offers a higher treatment capacity for a given plant size.
- The Schneider Electric automation solution has been selected for the control system.
- This plant is operated by Suez.
- Graniou was the system integrator in charge of automation project execution.
Customer objective and constraints:
- Constraints concern discharge level in the Roumiguières valley. Searching for an adapted process, in a protected area, with space limitation.
- Installation has to cope with the following constraints:
- High availability
- Flexible extension
- Compact size
II. SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Implementation methodology (main phases):1. Satisfy the customer's stringent specifications
2. Implementation taking into account flexibility for future evolutions
3. After sales service
Solution overview (services, products, systems, architectures...):
Automation structure is mainly based on:
- Redundant warm standby programmable controllers, providing high system availability
- STB distributed I/Os islands (for the different process functional units), providing complete integration of motor starters (simplified wiring to STB thanks to pre-made cabling) and variable speed drives (via STB canopen extension) on the FIP network. This solution is compact and easy to expand.
III. RESULTS / ACHIEVEMENT
- High availability of installation
- Flexible extension capabilities
- Compact size
Customer testimonies (Verbatim):
- Stéphane Abram, Graniou system integrator project manager: "Thanks to STB islands, we saved on space, with a reduction of 3 or 4 metres of linear enclosure space. But we saved also on wiring: we have an estimating saving time in wiring of approximately 30% ... We selected Tesys U motor starters for easy connection, compact size, and flexibility for the user: only 3 references cover 80% of the requirements of motor starters on the site".
Schneider Electric differentiating values VS competitors:
- Cost effective solution provided by compactness of equipment and wiring cost reduction, thanks to the associated use of STB distributed I/Os, TesysU motor starters and ATV drives.